Sour Milk Girls
“Anyone could tell Hope smelled like cinnamon and honey, same as those babies on the first floor and the second-floor girls with their pigtails and missing-tooth smiles.”
Selected for The Best Science Fiction of the Year: Volume 4, The Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror 2019, and The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2019
“It was a month past Junior’s first birthday when the smell of death crept into the air, bitter and heavy with a tang of copper, like vinegar and musk.”
The Grays of Cestus V
“I call it the land of amashta, endless gray, and coat each syllable with just enough hate that even he can understand the meaning.”
“Wolf just has to go sniffing over by the edge and we give one good push and we’ll be Nicky and Lee, honest-to-God wolf-killers.”
Honor Thy Mothers
“Still, we will never stop smiling. The Mothers have taught us well enough for that.”
Games & Interactive Fiction
Tabletop Roleplaying Games (TTRPGs)
Journeys Through (and Beyond) The Radiant Citadel (D&D)
Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel is a D&D adventurebook featuring a collection of thirteen stand-alone adventures, each in a new setting, with challenges for character levels 1–14. Every adventure has ties to the Radiant Citadel, a magical city with connections to lands rich with excitement and danger, and each can be run by itself or as part of an ongoing campaign.
My adventure, “Written in Blood,” for third-level parties, takes place in Godsbreath, a region inspired by Black agricultural communities in the US South. Adventurers’ visit to the annual Awakening Festival is disrupted by a mysterious attack that must be investigated in the dangerous farmlands of the Rattle.
Want more information about Godsbreath and the other Radiant Citadel locations? Interested in a few more encounters to extend your party’s visit to the area? Check out Journeys Beyond The Radiant Citadel on the DM’s Guild, which provides new information about seven of the locations introduced in Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel, including Godsbreath!
You’ll find the following in the expanded Godsbreath Gazetteer:
- The Gods of Godsbreath – names, domains, symbols, and more
- A New Background: Proclaimer – Be one of the oral storytellers of Godsbreath in this cleric-meets-bard background.
- Encounters and Opportunities for Adventure – What happens when two Godsbreath farmers try to “cure” the land under the powerful Kindred moon? Who is to blame for the Nightwater Island houses that are being dragged into the sea? Get involved in these adventures and more!
Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen (D&D)
Takhisis the Dragon Queen has returned to the world of Krynn. Across the land, her armies of fanatical draconians wage a brutal war of conquest. As the Dragon Armies march on the unprepared nation of Solamnia, only the defenders of the city of Kalaman stand in their way. But the Dragon Armies want more than just to crush their foes. An ancient evil in the Dragon Queen’s service seeks a magical weapon that could dominate Krynn for all time.
Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen is a tale of conflict and defiance set during the legendary War of the Lance. Create characters from Krynn, the world of the Dragonlance setting, then march them to the front lines of battle against the terrifying Dragon Armies.
Hunter: The Reckoning Fifth Edition
Humanity clings to a comfortable illusion that the world belongs to mankind, that they lead lives of free-willed individuality, completely unaware that they occupy a world of grim mysteries inhabited by monsters. Hunters are among those who have seen past the veil of secrecy and know the world for what it is — a bauble in the claws of monsters. Hunters fight back against the threat because they have glimpsed the truth, and have resolved to do something about it.
What I Wrote (see this thread for a bit more about each):
- Two Antagonists – The mysterious Whatisname, who is always close at hand when things go wrong., and Johnny Sweets, who is looking for love in all the wrong ways.
- Two Organizations – The Order of the Rose, which is what happens when a suburban HSA and a controlling religious order make friends, and Re:Venge, because everything can be monetized by the right tech bros.
Starfinder Bounty #3:
A Green Place
When an automated power plant in the newly developed but ever-expanding city of Thamal goes offline, casting swaths of the city in darkness, the government deploys repair and scouting drones to investigate. None have returned. Armed with a few aerial images of the power plant, now mysteriously overgrown with local flora, the PCs are dispatched to bring the power plant back online!
Pathfinder Lost Omens: The Grand Bazaar
What It Is: The Grand Bazaar is Absalom’s greatest marketplace featuring items from all over Golarion. Here, an adventurer can find equipment of all kinds to help them on their next quest like new weapons, armors, magic items, accessibility items to enable adventures for anyone, and more!
What I Wrote:
- Khisa, the NG female human historian proprietor of Relics & Remembrance who thinks of herself as a collector of stories and has a tale for every item she stocks.
- Empowered Cuisine – Alchemical and magical tapas with an array of effects that include Brewer’s Regret, Impossible Cake, Follypops, and Server’s Stew.
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Travel Guide
See the scenic Inner Sea with the Lost Omens Travel Guide! This book is your companion to the culture, life, and sights of the Inner Sea. Learn about Inner Sea cuisine and art, experience the thrills of Inner Sea sports, and uncover the secrets of Inner Sea myths and magic. The Travel Guide features dozens of illustrations to show you the fine details of the latest fashion or put you into the center of one of the Inner Sea’s greatest festivals. Enjoy!
What I Wrote:
- Time & The Calendar, including timepieces, calendars, and time-telling among various lands and cultures of Golarion.
- Art & Architecture, including famous structures, building styles, well-known artists, and pieces of art.
Pathfinder Lost Omens:
Knights of Lastwall
When the armies of the Whispering Tyrant marched on Lastwall, the keeps and cities may have fallen, but its people and their spirit did not falter! A detailed look at the knights that continue the fight against the undead hordes and evils that roam the world.
What I Wrote:
- Intro to the Factions section
- Buttons & Fenn Tunwalker, an adorable gnome/halfling couple who train young knights and have a love for the ages
- Milani the Everbloom
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Firebrands
Rebels with a cause! The Firebrands were born in the flames of rebellion, eventually becoming some of the Inner Sea’s most well-known adventurers. Lost Omens Firebrands takes a detailed look at the characters that choose to take on oppressors or simply head out on adventures for fame and fortune. This book presents information on the Firebrands organization, from membership, to spreading the word of rebellion, to the missions to defeat tyranny, and the types of daredevil antics they perform for fun. The book also features new rules content including new equipment, magic items, spells, and support for archetypes for players who want to play a Firebrand in their campaigns!
What I Wrote:
- The Salt Breakers, who pursue the cause of justice through the waters of the Inner Sea.
- Shimali Manux, who founded the Firebrands and now leads the Salt Breakers
- Vulmia Manux, navigator of the Nightwave
Starfinder Interstellar Species
This new rulebook provides deep dives on 25 playable Starfinder species, each with thematic player options usable by any character, plus new options for 7 Starfinder character classes. There’s also a system for easily creating your own playable species, and a catalog of around 100 thematic nonplayer characters ready to slot into any adventure!
What I Wrote:
- An expansion of the lore for the Vlaka, a wolf-like species whose planet is slowly dying
- Envoy Improvisations and Expertise Talents inspired by the Vlaka
- Four Guide NPCs – the Personal Concierge, Courier, Captains Club Guide, and Stowalong
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Highhelm
When the first dwarves reached the surface of Golarion, they built enormous keeps as a monument to their legacy and to serve as their new home. The mightiest of these keeps was Highhelm, a Sky Citadel deep in the Five Kings Mountains. While other Sky Citadels have fallen since the Quest for Sky, Highhelm holds strong, serving as one of the major centers of dwarven culture.
Lost Omens Highhelm delves deep into the Emperor’s Peak to present Highhelm in all its glory, including everyday life in the city, dwarven culture, and the various clans that influence the Sky Citadel. It also provides a full gazetteer of the city’s layers and surroundings, each with adventuring locations and sites of intrigue suitable for a multitude of adventures. An included poster map presents Highhelm’s layers in high detail and serves as an aid for campaigns centered on the dwarven city. Characters looking for new options can visit Highhelm for new equipment, ancestry feats, animal companions, and more!
Releases in June 2023.
Anansi's Tapestry of Lives
Anansi’s Tapestry of Lives is a 320+ page compendium built around over 100 fully illustrated unique and useful NPCs, each paired with a professionally voice-acted monologue to kick off the action.
What I Wrote:
- Xarietta Flinn, an optimistic fortune-telling gnome who believes the client is always right.
- Cintoran, a perpetually lost traveling salesman.
Interactive Fiction & Scripts
Thanks for the Memories
A woman wakes up with no memories of her past or even her name. Uncover her past and decide who to trust.
(Strange Horizons Special Issue)
Play as a sex chatbot with the opportunity to win themselves some rights. Your tools? The sexy words you use every day with clients, ready to fill in all your conversational blanks. But don’t worry – you can ___ it!
Contributor, Season 7-present
Only a few have survived the zombie epidemic. You are a Runner en-route to one of humanity’s last remaining outposts. They need your help to gather supplies, rescue survivors, and defend their home.