Physical travel may be nothing but a memory, but I’ve always loved moving through the internet’s series of tubes to do guest posts, appear on podcasts, and the like. Want to check out my recent guest blog posts/podcast appearances and where you can catch me next? You’ve come to the right place.
I’ve got a lot coming up on the teaching and speaking front – I’ll be co-teaching another class with the amazing Ian Muneshwar for Clarion West, speaking at Readercon, and doing some teaching at the Surrey International Writers’ Conference – I can’t wait! Here are all the details:
- Geographies of Fear: Using Space and Place When Writing Horror (Clarion West Write-A-Thon), with Ian Muneshwar – In this course, we’ll analyze fictional settings that disturb and disarm while also exploring how you can use space and place as tools for developing your own horror fiction. (Thursday, July 15th, at 12 PM Pacific)
- Everywhere a Threshold (Readercon – virtual), a panel discussion with Amal El-Mohtar, Geoff Ryman, and T.X. Watson, moderated by Gillian Daniels (Sunday, August 15th, at 2 PM Eastern)
- WXR Presents: The Teller Shapes The Tale: Crafting a Narrative Voice (SiWC Online) – In this masterclass, we’ll dive into how to craft a story’s narrative voice, from the 10,000-foot decisions about who and how a story is told to the line-level word choices and sentence craft that make a narrative voice sing. (Wednesday, October 20th, at 2:30 PM Pacific)
- Do You Trust Me? Crafting Unreliable Narrators and Narratives (SiWC Online) – In this workshop, we’ll explore the craft of making a story unreliable, from the different types of unreliable narrators to when to reveal that not everything in your story is as it seems to how to make your revelation feel earned and hold on to reader trust. (Friday, October 20th, at 2:30 PM Pacific)
- Which Came First, the Character or the Plot? (SiWC Online) – A panel discussion with Robert Dugoni, Hallie Ephron, and Diana Gabaldon, moderated by Elizabeth Boyle (Saturday, October 23rd, at 9:00 AM Pacific)
- The Hero Stays Home: Building Conflict Without Conquest (SiWC Online) – In this workshop, we’ll explore how to build worlds, plots, and characters for stories that are more local or personal than sweeping and global, including using proximity and shared history to heighten tension, giving agency to the setting, and bringing literary techniques to genre contexts. (Saturday, October 23rd, at 2:00 PM Pacific)
Star Trekkin’ Across the Universe
I have joined Starfleet! Every other week, some other wonderful writers and artists and I play a Star Trek RPG as the crew of the Star Trek: Horizon. I play Keeley Vo, a Trill raised on Cardassia who got a field promotion to captain in the first episode and now has to be in charge of things and whatnot. And since we have several talented artists in our midst, you get to see her! We’re wrapping up season 1, but stay tuned for our season finale on July 10th (time TBD) at https://www.twitch.tv/typecastrpg.
One of the nice things about doing so much of life virtually is that panels can be recorded. The one below is from the City Tech Science Fiction Symposium on Race and Science Fiction, where I appeared on a Writers Roundtable with the brilliant Carlos Hernandez, Cadwell Turnbull, and Alaya Dawn Johnson, moderated wonderfully by Joy Sanchez-Taylor. You can check that out below!
Fireside Podcast Chats
In which I say things in an audio format, usually with other folks around, and generally have a good time. Including….
- Interspectional: Diverse Storytelling in Tabletop Games
- Writing Excuses 16.9: Crossing the Revenue Streams
- Writing Excuses 16.8: Smart Promotion
- Writing Excuses 16.7: To Series, or Not to Series
- Writing Excuses 16.6: Building Your Brand
- Writing Excuses 16.5: Pros and Contracts
- Writing Excuses 16.4: Networking
- Writing Excuses 16.3: Publishing Pitfalls
- Podside Picnic (in which I am high on yoga endorphins and say the word “murder” a lot)
- Coffee In Space
- Writing Excuses 15.32: Short Story Markets
- Writing Excuses 15.12: Writing the Other – Being an Ally
- Just Keep Writing Community Chat
- The Skiffy and Fanty Show – Signal Boost #51