Want to check out my recent guest blog posts/podcast appearances and where you can catch me next? You’ve come to the right place.
Coming up – a trip to Armadillocon, where I’ll be on a few panels, and teaching a few classes for the online Surrey International Writing Conference. Those classes are:
- WXR Presents: The Teller Shapes The Tale: Crafting a Narrative Voice (SiWC Online) – In this masterclass, we’ll dive into how to craft a story’s narrative voice, from the 10,000-foot decisions about who and how a story is told to the line-level word choices and sentence craft that make a narrative voice sing. (Wednesday, October 20th, at 2:30 PM Pacific)
- Do You Trust Me? Crafting Unreliable Narrators and Narratives (SiWC Online) – In this workshop, we’ll explore the craft of making a story unreliable, from the different types of unreliable narrators to when to reveal that not everything in your story is as it seems to how to make your revelation feel earned and hold on to reader trust. (Friday, October 20th, at 2:30 PM Pacific)
- Which Came First, the Character or the Plot? (SiWC Online) – A panel discussion with Robert Dugoni, Hallie Ephron, and Diana Gabaldon, moderated by Elizabeth Boyle (Saturday, October 23rd, at 9:00 AM Pacific)
- The Hero Stays Home: Building Conflict Without Conquest (SiWC Online) – In this workshop, we’ll explore how to build worlds, plots, and characters for stories that are more local or personal than sweeping and global, including using proximity and shared history to heighten tension, giving agency to the setting, and bringing literary techniques to genre contexts. (Saturday, October 23rd, at 2:00 PM Pacific)
One of the nice things about doing so much of life virtually is that panels can be recorded. The one below is from the City Tech Science Fiction Symposium on Race and Science Fiction, where I appeared on a Writers Roundtable with the brilliant Carlos Hernandez, Cadwell Turnbull, and Alaya Dawn Johnson, moderated wonderfully by Joy Sanchez-Taylor. You can check that out below!
Fireside Podcast Chats
In which I say things in an audio format, usually with other folks around, and generally have a good time. Including….
- Interspectional: Diverse Storytelling in Tabletop Games
- Writing Excuses 16.9: Crossing the Revenue Streams
- Writing Excuses 16.8: Smart Promotion
- Writing Excuses 16.7: To Series, or Not to Series
- Writing Excuses 16.6: Building Your Brand
- Writing Excuses 16.5: Pros and Contracts
- Writing Excuses 16.4: Networking
- Writing Excuses 16.3: Publishing Pitfalls
- Podside Picnic
- Coffee In Space
- Writing Excuses 15.32: Short Story Markets
- Writing Excuses 15.12: Writing the Other – Being an Ally
- Just Keep Writing Community Chat
- The Skiffy and Fanty Show – Signal Boost #51